High School Outreach
Summer Media Academy 2023
In partnership with the University of Georgia Summer Academy program, Grady College is offering weeklong, in-person camps in the following subject areas: Advertising and Public Relations; Broadcast Journalism; News Website Journalism ; and Entertainment and Media Studies. Instructors will lead engaging activities and participants will hear from guest speakers. Students also work on specialized projects over the course of each week.
- Ages: 13-17 (at the start of camp)
- Format: In-person, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., M-F. Overnight participants arrive Sunday and leave the following Saturday morning. The complete schedule will be available to registrants a few weeks before the start of each camp.
- Cost: Day Camp - $440 or Residential Camp - $1090
- Registration: Registration will be available beginning Jan.11, 2023, through the UGA Summer Academy website. There is a max of 20 participants for each camp week, and participants are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Limited need-based financial aid is available. To apply, fill out this financial aid application and write a statement of interest (250 words) explaining why you wish to attend a Summer Media Academy program. You also must include a statement of need (500-word maximum) on why you seek financial assistance, one sample of work and one letter of recommendation. Email the complete packet of information to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2023.
Advertising and Public Relations: Overnight June 11-17 or Day Camp June 12-16
Learn how to become a creative problem solver, writer, decision-maker, and persuasive communicator within traditional and new media in this exciting Advertising and Public Relations camp. Explore ways to reach target audiences and effectively communicate your messages to the public, and even design an integrated campaign for a non-profit organization. Registration opens Jan. 11, 2023. For more details, visit www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/advertising-public-relations.
Broadcast Journalism: Overnight June 11-17 or Day Camp June 12-16
In this course, participants will learn to find and tell stories that matter with a focus on developing storytelling skills in audio and visual forms. They’ll consider what makes a story important, how to gather credible information, and how to present it in the most effective way. Participants will practice and hone technical skills in reporting, videography and video editing as the class works together with the instructors to produce a broadcast show. Registration opens Jan. 11, 2023. For more details, visit www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/journalism.
Entertainment and Media Studies - Overnight June 18-24 or Day Camp June 19-23
Are you interested in careers in the film, television, radio, online, mobile and other new media industries? In this course, participants will be introduced to the exciting entertainment field and what it encompasses. They will gain valuable skills for conceiving what stories are worth telling while also gaining an understanding of the implications of visual storytelling in society. They will learn the basics of content production, from screenwriting to digital editing. Over the course of the week, they will work on a project to showcase in their portfolios. Registration opens in February. For more details, visit https://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/entertainment-media-studies.
Multimedia Journalism: Overnight June 18-24 or Day Camp June 19-23
Do you feel passionate about telling true stories that make the news? Acquire critical tools to become a multi-skilled journalist in this ever-changing digital landscape. Practice the art of interviewing, multimedia reporting, writing, editing, and producing alongside a professional journalist. Explore visual journalism and social media storytelling, and work with your instructor to produce a news website. Registration opens Jan. 11, 2023. For more details, visit www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/multimedia-journalism.
Virtual or in-person visits are available for 2022-23!
Are you a school teacher in Georgia interested in taking your students on a field trip to learn more about journalism, video production, advertising or public relations? If so, you should come visit us at Grady College!
Depending on your needs, we will develop an agenda where your students can tour our facilities, learn about the school and majors offered, and hear from faculty, staff and students.
Unable to travel? Let us come to you! We can talk/present on specifics regarding the topic you choose.
For more information on the high school visits or to schedule one, please email email@example.com.