Apply to Grady
Your journey towards a rewarding career in media
Grady College Undergraduate Application
Join a vibrant community of storytellers, innovators and change-makers who are shaping the future of advertising, public relations, journalism and entertainment media. Our renowned faculty, resources and immersive experiences will equip you with the skills and knowledge to thrive in college and in your future careers. Collaborate with industry leaders, build a diverse portfolio and tap into a powerful alumni network. Grady College is your gateway to an exciting and rewarding career.
|Application Available||Admissions Decision Released||Start Date|
|November 15, 2023 – January 19, 2024, at 5 PM||Early February||Fall 2024|
|April 15, 2024 – August 30, 2024, at 5 PM||Early October||Spring 2025|
Grady offers a robust program of master’s, MFA and doctoral degrees, which you can find here. Graduate admission to Grady College’s Graduate Studies is a collaborative process involving Grady College and the University of Georgia’s Graduate School.
|Ph.D Program||January 1, 2024|
|MFA Film, Television and Digital Media||February 15, 2024|
|MA Program||March 1, 2024|
|Emerging Media Concentration||March 1, 2024|
|MFA Narrative Media Writing||April 1, 2024|
How to Apply
Grady offers undergraduate degrees in Advertising, Entertainment & Media Studies, Journalism and Public Relations. In addition to our degree programs, we offer the following certificate programs:
- Grady Sports Media Certificate
- New Media Institute Certificate
- Public Affairs Communications Certificate
- Strategic Health & Risk Communication
- Certificate in News Literacy
In order to apply to Grady, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be accepted and currently enrolled in classes at the University of Georgia.
- Earn a 2.8 minimum overall GPA
- Be in good academic standing during the semester of application (cumulative UGA GPA of at least 2.0)
- Core Areas I-V complete or in-progress to completion
- Complete the online application during the application dates posted in the chart above. The spring application process opens each year on November 15; the fall application process opens each April 15.
- The online application takes only a few minutes to complete.
- The application will ask you to list three majors and rank them in order of preference.
- Entertainment and Media Studies and Public Relations are our most competitive majors. EMST and PR can only be your first choice major if you are considering those majors.
- Complete a Statement of Interest at the University Testing Center
The above criteria are minimum application requirements and do not guarantee admission to Grady College or to a particular major. The application process involves completing both our online application and a written statement of interest at the University Testing Center.
Your Statement of Interest highlights interests, ambitions and/or experiences relevant to study at and a career in journalism and mass communication. You may focus on a specific major or on an issue in journalism and mass communication that interests you. The important thing is to showcase your commitment, your promise and your credibility. Your statement should be distinctive and compelling. It should also be readable! The sky is the limit on how you develop your statement. Use it to represent you at your best. You may write up to two pages.
In the Testing Center, students may type their statement of interest on a computer or hand write it. You must make an appointment to ensure the availability of a computer; students who walk in without an appointment may have to handwrite their statements. To make an appointment, call 706-542-3183 or visit https://testing.uga.edu/
How to Apply
Grady offers five distinct graduate programs:
- M.A. Degree
- M.A. in Emerging Media
- MFA in Film, Television and Media
- Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts in Narrative Media Writing
- Ph.D. Degree Program
Go to the Application to Graduate School website.
Complete their application and upload the following required materials:
- Undergraduate and, if you have them, previous graduate school transcripts.
- The GRE is optional for both MA and Ph.D. applications. It is not required.
- For international students, you may need to provide a TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo language proficiency examination score. Click here to find country-specific requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Two to three-page-long statement of purpose.
- Current Résumé/CV
Ph.D. program application deadlines: All application materials must be submitted to the UGA Graduate School by January 1 for Fall semester admission consideration. All application materials must be submitted by November 15 for Spring semester admission.
- Masters in Journalism and Mass Communication program application deadlines: All application materials must be submitted to the UGA Graduate School by March 1 for Fall semester admission. All application materials must be submitted by November 15 for Spring semester admission.
- Emerging Media Master’s program deadline: All application materials must be submitted to the UGA Graduate School by March 1.
- MFA in Film, Television, and Digital Media program deadline: All application materials must be submitted by February 15.
- MFA in Narrative Nonfiction Writing program deadline: All application materials must be submitted by April 1.