Dr. Jeong-Yeob Han
About: Dr. Han teaches communication theory, research methods, and technology and health. Research foci include health communication and technology, new media effects, and research methods and design.
Ph.D., Mass Communication, University of Wisconsin – Madison (Minor: Statistics in Social Science)
M.A., Communication, Seoul National University, South Korea
B.A., Communication, Seoul National University, South Korea (Summa Cum Laude)
Research Interests and Activities
Han's research mainly concerns the design and evaluation of interactive health communication campaigns, the benefits of online social support groups for cancer and other health related cognitions and behaviors, and statistical methods and research design. Han has developed programs of research on (a) antecedents and consequences of engagement with various eHealth initiatives, particularly focusing on theory and measurement development, (b) transaction logfile analysis, a unique method to probe interaction between computer and human, and (c) message expression and reception effects, particularly within online social media tools. Articles presenting this work appear in leading communication, psychology, and public health journals: Computers in Human Behavior, Health Communication, Health Education Research, International Journal of Medical Informatics, Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Journal of Communication, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Journal of Health Communication, Journal of Health Psychology, Mass Communication and Society, Patient Education and Counseling, Psycho-Oncology, and Translational Behavioral Medicine.
Han's areas of specializations are health communication and technology, communication theory, and research methods and design. He teaches courses in the Telecommunications Department and the New Media Institute. His courses include Tele3410, Media Research and Theory; Tele4290, Digital Media Production; NMIX4110, New Media Production; JRMC8010 Research Methodology in Mass Communication Research.
Awards and Fellowships
• ICA Communication and Technology Division, Top Three Faculty Paper (lead author) – 2011
• University of Georgia, Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, Provost Travel Grant Award - 2011
• Listed in Marquis Who's Who in America, 65th Edition – 2011
• University of Georgia, Office of the Vice President for Research, Foreign Travel Grant Award - 2010
• ICA Health Communication Division, Top Three Student Paper (lead author) – 2008
• ICA Health Communication Division, ICA Travel Grant Award – 2008
• ICA Health Communication Division, Top Student-led Paper (lead author) – 2007
• AEJMC Communication Technology Division, Top Three Faculty Paper (lead author) – 2006
• AEJMC Communication Technology & Policy Division, Top Three Faculty Paper – 2005
• University of Wisconsin-Madison, Mass Communication Research Center, Top Four Student Paper – 2005
• Seoul National University, Department of Communication, Summa Cum Laude – 1999