Need help with your application video?
Check out this example by Tyrin!
The World Needs Exceptional Leaders like You to Shape the Future of Advertising & Public Relations.
We are excited that you are considering participation in the 5th Annual AdPR Academy! AdPR Academy is a valuable professional development experience for that strengthens diverse students:
- industry knowledge
- professional skills
- network of professional contacts
Thanks to our generous sponsors, this program is 100% free! To be part of AdPR Academy’s 2021 cohort, make sure to submit your application form as well as email a letter of recommendation and your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19th, 2021. More info about the application process can be found below.
Final decisions will be made no later than April 22, 2021. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the cohort is filled.
How to Apply to AdPR Academy
Step #1: Make a Video Introducing Yourself
A video can capture the essence of who you are and give Academy staff a chance to get to know you better. Each video must be no longer than 2.5 minutes in length. See our FAQ below for some of the questions you should answer in your video.
Step #2: Letter of Recommendation
Your recommendation should be from an individual who can speak to your professional competence, accomplishments, community roles, and civic activities. Recommendation letters should be emailed to email@example.com. For more information, see our recommendation letter guide here.
Step #3: Put Together a Resume
AdPR Academy requires applicants to submit a resume so we can learn more about your personal academic journey & what you hope to learn. While cover letters are not required, we strongly encourage submitting them as well.
Step #4: Email Transcript to AdPR Academy
Email a PDF copy of your most recent transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. The transcript can be unofficial! Ideally the document will feature the name of your school and academic history with a cumulative GPA. Please label the file First Last – Transcript (i.e. Angie Wilson – Transcript).
Step #5: Fill Out Cohort Profile Application Form
The final step in applying is to fill our Cohort Profile Form! This form will ask you for basic information and takes takes less than 10 minutes to fill out. It’s also where you can submit your video, resume, and optional cover letter.
Who is eligible?
Current Juniors, Seniors, and first-year graduate students with an interest in learning more about the people, possibilities, and processes of advertising and public relations. Any minority student is eligible to apply. Students attending HBCUs are strongly encouraged to participate.
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for all prospective candidates.
What makes an ideal cohort candidate?
We seek confident and well-rounded cohort members with experience and abilities in the following areas:
- Analytical skills
- Decision-Making skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Public speaking
What must I do to apply?
Please reference the AdPR Academy Application Guide 2021
What should I talk about in my video?
A video can capture the essence of who you are and give Academy staff a chance to get to know you better. Each video must be no longer than 2.5 minutes in length. The video should include responses to the following questions:
1) What makes you the perfect candidate for AdPR Academy’s 5th cohort?
2) What is one example of how you have impacted your community?
3) Who has had the greatest influence on your life and what have you learned from them?
4) What do you want to accomplish in the first 2 years of your professional career?
5) What else would like Academy staff to know about you?
What are the Do’s & Don’t for making this video?
- Be creative. The video should reflect your style and personal brand.
- Ensure you speak directly to the camera for at least 1.5 minutes. The balance of time can include voiceover and feature footage of you from extra-curricular activities, volunteer efforts, leadership roles, etc. if you desire.
- Shoot on a simple background and be well lit. It is important that we can clearly see and hear you.
- Shoot your video horizontally.
- Upload and create a private URL link, preferably from Vimeo or YouTube. Videos from personal websites are also acceptable. WeTransfer should only be used as a last resort and approval must be requested from the Academy Director (email@example.com)
- Use inappropriate language that could be perceived as offensive or rude.
- Use the video to outline your academic studies (you will submit your resume and a cover letter to highlight this information).
- Reframe the video questions as lead-in phrases for your responses. Develop your answers and then weave together a story about you that is captured in video. That will be more compelling.
- Exceed video length requirements. Videos over the required length will NOT be reviewed. Best to keep videos at 2.25 minutes. • Use excessive transitions or fades.
Can I mail my application?
All application materials must be submitted using the directions provided. No exceptions.
Any technical questions regarding the use of the online application form can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the deadline for the cohort application?
The application deadline for the 2021 AdPR Academy Cohort is April 19, 2021 at 6 p.m. EST
Is there a fee to participate in the Academy?
There is no fee to attend AdPR Academy thanks to the generous support of our sponsors.
Where will the Academy take place?
All cohort training workshops, networking receptions, and the completion celebration will be held virtually in 2021. Students accepted into the cohort will be given unique credentials to access online materials and all training. All general participants will be able to access content via YouTube and other public platforms the week of May 16th.