Summer Media Academy 2022
In partnership with the University of Georgia Summer Academy program, Grady College is offering weeklong, in-person camps in three subject areas: Advertising and Public Relations: (overnight June 12-18, 2022 OR day camp June 13-17, 2022), Journalism (overnight June 12-18, 2022 OR day camp June 13-17, 2022), Entertainment and Media Studies (overnight June 26 -July 2, 2022 OR day camp June 27-July 1, 2022). Instructors will lead engaging activities and participants will hear from guest speakers. They’ll also work on specialized projects over the course of each week.
- Ages: 13-17 (at the start of camp)
- Format: In-person, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., M-F. Overnight participants arrive Sunday and leave the following Saturday morning. The complete schedule will be available to registrants a few weeks before the start of each camp.
- Cost: The fee for each day camp week (M-F) is $450. Overnight camp (drop-off on Sunday; pick-up on Saturday) has an additional cost of $600, for a total cost of $1,050.
- Registration: Registration will be available in February through the UGA Summer Academy website. There is a max of 20 participants for each camp week.
- Limited need-based financial aid is available. To apply for financial assistance, please fill out this form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 28, 2022. In addition to the completed form, include a general interest statement (about 250-300 words), a statement of need (no longer than 500 words), one letter of recommendation and one work sample. Please send all materials together.
Journalism: overnight June 12-18, 2022 OR day camp June 13-17, 2022
The journalism field is evolving to encompass multiple platforms. In this course, participants will acquire some of the tools needed to become a multi-skilled journalist in this digital age. They will practice the art of interviewing, multimedia reporting, writing, editing and producing. They also will explore visual journalism and social media storytelling. The class will work together with the instructor to produce a news website. There is an option for overnight camp June 12-18 OR day camp June 13-17.Registration opens in February. For more details, visit www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/journalism.
Advertising and Public Relations: overnight June 12-18, 2022 OR day camp June 13-17, 2022
In the Advertising and Public Relations course, participants will learn how to become creative problem solvers, writers, decision-makers and persuasive communicators within traditional and new media. Students will study ways to reach target audiences and effectively communicate their messages to the general public. As a class, they will design an integrated campaign for a non-profit organization. There is an option for overnight camp June 12-18 OR day camp June 13-17. Registration opens in February. For more details, visit www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/advertising-public-relations.
Entertainment and Media Studies: overnight June 26 -July 2, 2022 OR day camp June 27-July 1, 2022
Are you interested in careers in the film, television, radio, online, mobile and other new media industries? In this course, participants will be introduced to the exciting entertainment field and what it encompasses. They will gain valuable skills for conceiving what stories are worth telling while also gaining an understanding of the implications of visual storytelling in society. They will learn the basics of content production, from screenwriting to digital editing. Over the course of the week, they will work on a project to showcase in their portfolios. There is an option for overnight camp June 26-July 2 OR day camp June 27-July 1. Registration opens in February. For more details, visit https://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/youth/summer-academy/entertainment-media-studies.
Virtual or in-person visits are available for 2021-22!
Are you a school teacher in Georgia interested in taking your students on a field trip to learn more about journalism, video production, advertising or public relations? If so, you should come visit us at Grady College!
Depending on your needs, we will develop an agenda where your students can tour our facilities, learn about the school and majors offered, and hear from faculty, staff and students.
Unable to travel? Let us come to you! We can talk/present on specifics regarding the topic you choose.
For more information on the high school visits or to schedule one, please email email@example.com.