Grady College & Lamar Dodd’s Summer Studio: Creative Portfolio Program
The Summer Studio Creative Portfolio Program is unlike anything you have experienced in a traditional campus classroom. We designed the curriculum to support students looking for creative opportunities after graduation – think design, content creation and social media strategy. This unique experience will further your creative interests across a variety of platforms and creative projects while learning from industry experts, design faculty and other like-minded students.
Grady’s AdPR department partnered with the Lamar Dodd School of Art to create an experiential learning environment for students interested in creative areas such as advertising, public relations, graphic design, social media content creation and related communications industries. Over four weeks, participants build technical skills and formulate ideas from the ground up. Kickstart or strengthen your creative portfolio in a totally unique and engaging environment.
Join our creative community!
June 6-July 3, 2024
8 mini-courses/6 credits
Applications are accepted now through March 31 for the 2024 summer cohort.
Hang with Us
Grady College and Lamar Dodd Summer Studio provides undergraduate and graduate students an opportunity to acquire additional creative skills while earning (6) required and/or elective credits in four weeks.
- Summer Session I: June 6-July 3, 2024
- Location: Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication
- 2x sessions per day: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM)
- 8 courses total > 2 courses per week over four weeks
- Six credit hours toward required courses, upper-level electives, Double Dawgs, or graduate credit
- Limited enrollment – reserve your spot!
- Adobe Crash Course: Utilize the design world’s most powerful tools as you navigate print and digital scenarios in Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Visual Basics: Learn what it takes to create designs that motivate, inspire and communicate effectively.
- Type Literacy: Understand the role typography plays in crafting your visual message.
- Picture This: Develop your eye for lighting, composition and storytelling through photography and videography.
- Wordplay: Discover how the right combination of words can propel a campaign forward and create messages that move.
- Designing for a Digital World: How do you communicate visually in a digital world that is constantly changing?
- Strategic Thinking: It takes more than good design to bring an idea to life. Effective campaigns are rooted in strong concepts that have the potential to speak visually.
- Sales Pitch: Consider how your personal brand influences your creative portfolio.
Admission to the 2024 Summer Studio is open to all majors who meet the following criteria:
- You must be a UGA student in good standing
- You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- In-person participation is required for the full 4-weeks (no virtual option)
- Students must provide their own housing, transportation and meals
- UGA tuition and fees apply
- Students must provide their own hardware (laptop with the ability to run Adobe apps)
- Students must provide their own Adobe Creative Cloud subscription
Ride the Wave
To apply, please complete the Summer Studio application. Students will be accepted on a rolling admission. You will be notified of acceptance within 14 days of completing your application. Upon acceptance, you will be issued a POD for the (2) 3-credit hour courses. It is the student’s responsibility to register for the two courses and pay the associated tuition and fees by the Summer 1 payment deadline.