Grady College to celebrate National AdPR week at UGA
The Grady College Department of Advertising and Public Relations is pulling out all the stops for its first-ever weeklong celebration of National AdPR week at UGA, Sept.28 through Oct. 2.
“This week is about looking forward—what are trends shaping the profession and how best to prepare our students for careers in these influential fields,” said Tom Reichert, head of the AdPR department.
The week, which coincides with National Advertising Week, will feature an engaging lineup of events packed with special presentations and professional development workshops led by industry veterans.
“We are featuring just of a few of our many successful alumni who are transitioning the business and educational communities with innovation and best practices,” Reichert said. “Our alums are making a difference at market leaders such as Coca-Cola, Delta, Georgia-Pacific and UPS to name a few, as well as agencies such as Moxie, BBDO, MSL, Wieden+Kennedy and JWT.”
The UGA chapters of AdClub, IABC and PRSSA are organizing and hosting several of the events.
The week will culminate with an SEC special feature involving sports communicators and sports journalists talking about the battle for media coverage, with the Alabama-Georgia game as a backdrop, Reichert said.
Be sure to show your AdPR pride during the week on social media by using the hashtag #AdPRide.
The schedule of events is as follows:
Monday, Sept. 28
• Joseph Olewitz, founder and CEO of 22nd Story Strategies, will present “How to prepare for the new world in Advertising and PR” from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Peyton Anderson Forum.
Tuesday, Sept. 29
• Chandler Rumsey (ABJ ’14), assistant account executive at JWT Atlanta, will speak about the transition of the industry to the new media age, and the strategies that JWT uses with its clients to keep up with the changing trends. The event is presented by the AdClub from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Peyton Anderson Forum.
Wednesday, Sept. 30
• Enjoy a hotdog lunch grilled by Dean Charles Davis on the Grady Lawn starting at 11 a.m. AdPR is the official sponsor of this semester’s Dawgs with the Dean.
• The Atlanta Broadcasting Advertising Club (ABAC) and Grady College are teaming up for an advertising luncheon and panel from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Maggiano’s Little Italy in Buckhead. The topic will be “The Media Mosaic: The Fragmentation of the Advertising Eco-System.” More details are available here.
• Team members from Moxie will present an analytics workshop from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Peyton Anderson Forum. PRSSA is hosting the event.
Thursday, Oct. 1
• Earl Borron, formerly of the Dearing Group, will present “Life in the Hedges,” a workshop about creating and promoting your personal brand while in college. The presentation, which starts at 6 p.m. in the Peyton Anderson Forum, is sponsored by IABC.
Friday, Oct. 2
• Capping off the week is “Promoting and Covering the South’s Most Popular Sport”: A conversation between sports PR professionals and national college football journalists. Panelists include Pat Forde, Yahoo! Sports, senior college football writer; Keri Potts, ESPN, senior director of public relations for college sports; Mark Schlabach (ABJ '96), ESPN.com, senior college football writer; and Dan Wolken, USA TODAY, national college football reporter. Bryan Harris (MA ’03) will serve as the moderator. Light breakfast will be served at 8:30 a.m., followed by the roundtable discussion from 9-10 a.m.Date: September 22, 2015
Author: Stephanie Moreno, email@example.com
Contact: Tom Reichert, firstname.lastname@example.org