Grady College Intern Diaries – Anastasia Grace
The following is part of a series of reflections from our Grady College students about their summer internships.
Name: Anastasia Grace (Journalism major)
Title of internship: News Intern WDEF News 12
Company: WDEF News 12
Location: Chattanooga, TN
1. What are some of the tasks you were assigned each day?
On most days I was assigned a photographer/camera man or a reporter to go with for the day in which I would conduct interviews and get video for possible stories after the morning meeting. Once back at the station, I would then write scripts and edit the video to piece together packages to air later that day.
2. What about your internship was the most surprising to you (i.e. What did you least expect going into this experience?)
I found the amount of freedom and encouragement that I was given with this internship surprising. I was always encouraged to come up with my own story ideas and to pitch potential pieces for air. I also found it surprising that with no broadcast experience (as a magazine major) that I was doing and learning everything a one-man band reporter was doing within the first week. It has been a great learning experience!
3. What do you think was the most influential experience or important skill you learned that you could carry with you as you join the work force?
The most important skill as a reporter is to make the people you interview feel comfortable talking to you. Your sound bites are everything! They really tell the story. Usually when you shove a microphone and camera in their face they tend to shy away. Once someone feels comfortable with you they will tell you everything.
4. What part of your Grady education did you find most valuable during your internship?
I found the Jour 3410 lab/class helpful.
5. What is one thing you wish you had known going into your internship?
I wish that I would have learned more about news writing and how to piece together stories before going into my internship.
I would tell a future intern, to be proactive and not to be afraid to speak up and voice your ideas. Your internship is really what you make of it. Also, it is good to be prepared for anything. There's always breaking news that you want to get to first.Date: September 18, 2014